Sunday, March 10, 2019

EU Will Soon Require US Visitors to Apply for Visa-Like Travel Pass

Starting in 2021, the European Union will require US visitors to get a pre-approved, visa-like travel pass issued by the European Travel Information and Authorization System, reports The New York Post.

The permit will cost about $7.90 and will have to be requested at least four days before the journey.

File under: Government organizations love to harass.

Permission will be good for three years and for multiple trips in and out of the Schengen Zone, which covers 26 countries.



  1. Is this just for US citizens or for all foreign travelers? The article was very vague, but it says it's for "security" reasons and that Americans will have to do it but doesn't say others won't. If it's just Americans and not others, than it is definitely not just a security issue.

  2. It's just about revenue. They'll see how well $7.90 is tolerated and then amplify it from there. The EU has to get creative now that they're losing a lucrative member.

    1. Perhaps. I heard that the EU os worried about the rise of radical fundamentalist Trumpism and thus want a way to know who is coming over their borders.

  3. Australia asks that of US visitors now.